In some countries young people are encouraged to work or travel for a year between finishing high school and starting university studies. Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages for young people who decide to do this?
Many people work hard in high school and then immediately continue their studies. However, in some countries around the world, people think about taking a gap year in order to work or travel before beginning their university education. While there is clearly a drawback to this, I personally believe that the benefits are more significant.
The disadvantage of going on a gap year is that students may end up not returning to their studies. The reason for this is that they may enjoy earning money and becoming financially independent. Therefore, their whole future could be negatively affected as these days it is very important for everyone to graduate with a degree in order to be competitive in the job market.
On the other hand, one of the major advantages is that students will be able to expand their horizons if they travel overseas. When students go abroad, they will be exposed to different cultures and customs. For example, westerners visiting somewhere like Europe will be able to experience the rich history and meet people from a lot of countries. As a result, they will gain a deeper understanding of the different places in the world.
In addition to that, students who work will be able to learn to appreciate the value of money. This is because they will realize the hard work involved in earning an income. Consequently, they would think more before purchasing anything they desire and may become less impulsive in their spending.
In conclusion, the advantages are of greater significance than the disadvantage. Despite the fact that students may not continue on studying at university, they will gain a lot of experience when they travel or learn to better appreciate money when they work. Given this situation, it is recommended that schools should encourage more students to consider taking a gap year.
Outline for Essay writing
To What Extent Do you Agree or Disagree Writing Topics
- University education should be free for all students. To what extent do you agree or disagree
- Men and women are capable of doing all jobs equally well. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Some people believe that nowadays we have too much choice. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Advertising that targets children should be banned from our televisions. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Some people say it is important to keep your home and your workplace tidy, with everything organised in the correct place. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- In some countries it is common for school leavers to take a year off between finishing school and starting university. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this practice?
- Open plan offices offer a better working environment for staff than a normal office. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Universities should accept equal numbers of male and female students in every subject. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- The recent popularity of online shopping will result in the end of high street shops. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- International sporting events promote peace between countries. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Some people think it is a good thing for senior managers to have much higher salaries than the other workers in a company. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- People who read for pleasure in their free time have a better imagination than those who prefer to watch TV. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Some people believe that children who are given pocket money every week have less problems managing money when they become adults. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Some people believe that eventually all jobs will be done by artificially intelligent robots. What is your opinion?
- Nowadays environmental problems are too big for individual countries or people to solve. We have reached the stage where we need cooperation on an international level to protect the environment. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Some people say that a person’s success is as a direct result of the way they were brought up by their parents. Do you agree or disagree?
- Some people think that plastic shopping bags should be banned because they contribute to land and sea pollution. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Some people who have been in prison become good citizens later, and so it is often argued that these are the best people to talk to teenagers about the dangers of committing a crime. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Some people believe that children should be taught how to manage money at school. Do you agree or disagree?
- Some people believe that in order for a hobby to be enjoyable, it needs to be difficult. Do you agree or disagree?
Outline for Writing a Longer Essay
Supply Chain Management Video
Supply Chain Management Questions
YUM! Brands – reading / (with highlighting)
28 Business Thinkers Who Changed the World
Economics Report – Credit Cards
Community Colleges in the USA
Questions – Community Colleges
1. What are community colleges also called?
2. What can students get after they train for a job for a year or two?
3. What kind of students are able to get a year of college for free?
4. What is the name of the initiative?
5. Which countries joined when it first started?
6. What do the students learn?
7. When did it start? How many students?
8. Where do the students live?
9. What kind of students do they try to attract?
10. What must the students do after they finish the program?
11. How can a student find out more information?
Foreign Students studying Business in the USA
Finding the Right Match – Online Dating